Saturday, October 3, 2009

Holy Cows!

This weekend was the annual decent of all the cows from the summer mountain pastures to the winter fields closer to the lake, so to celebrate a number of the small towns hold festivals. We took the train from Nyon up to the town of Saint Cergue to watch the "parade." What a sight! Not to mention the sounds . . . and SMELLS! (it was no use to watch your footing - the roads were pretty well covered).

We really had a good time walking around the town and checking out all the booths as well as watching the cows. I have to admit - probably my favorite part of the day was sitting outside in the sun watching the parade go by dipping into our first fondue of the season. I'm Swiss but this cooler weather has made me look forward to the fondue season again. (can't resist melted cheese)


























This is Analise's friend Lea. Lea's mom just happens to be one of my friends too - how convenient for us!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!! That's amazing. This is when I'm so happy you have a chance to experience other cultures/traditions. Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Brookings Advocates for Small Business and Market Freedom said...

So... in a way it is like you were at a kid friendly version of the running of the bulls!

This was way cooler though because nobody was gored :)

Thanks for the post Sarah! I always love them!

beth said...

that's awesome!!!! I wish we lived somewhere cool like that.