Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dumpster diving


So, the first Wednesday of every month the Swiss trash picker-upers pick up all the big stuff that won't fit into a normal dumpster. And the Swiss do not disappoint! You can't believe the stuff that is in their trash piles . . . chairs, lamps, electronics, etc.
Can you guess where this story is going?
Well, last weekend we went to a home store to look for baskets for my flower on the balcony but like everything here they were so expensive for a simple metal rack. So I said no, I guess I'll pass. THEN, walking home from Bible study last Wednesday morning, I was just peeking at a few of the piles along my route and would you believe it!? There were three metal hangers of just the sort I was looking for! The Lord doth provide . . .
I also snagged three little pots that are so cute in the basket and I just have to purchase some flowers for them.
When I told Daniel about it he was not nearly as I excited as I had hoped. "That's great," he says, "but I can see where this is going . . . this month it's just some baskets and pots, next month it's 'oh look, I found this sandwich and there's not even a bite out of it!'"
I should have said, "I wish! Then I wouldn't have to pack your lunch the next day!"
I can't wait for the next shopping day - I better get my list ready.

2 comments:

tiapugh said...

nice score!

Amy Kopecky said...

we did the same exact thing!!! and with a flower pot holder! this dumpster diving habit is addicting.