Monday, January 12, 2009

Above the clouds











We've been experiencing a few weeks of complete cloud cover.
Welcome to January.
Minnesotans (and Alaskans, I suspect) have a word for this - it's called depression.
It actually translates well into French - depression (with a little Frenchie accent).
So we did what the Swiss do and decided to head for the hills. After driving through some dense fog we were suddenly greeted by bright blue skies, brilliant sunshine and fresh air. Amazing!


We enjoyed skiing at a new place (taking turns on baby duty of course).
The skiing here is quite different from what we're both used to in the U.S. No big "chalets" or lodges. This is a little more rustic - you jump out of your car in the parking lot, which may be wedged in between buildings right on Main street, then slap on your skis, and hop right on the pommel lift. As one woman I was talking to put it - "Nous sommes sauvages." - we're wild. I couldn't agree more!


Across the street from the ski hill was a frozen lake. The lake was enormous and there were truly hundreds of families spread out like ants up and down the length of it. Dads with skates were pulling breathless kids on sleds and people warmed up a bit by drinking plenty of "vin chaud" which was for sale at a little stand right out on the ice.
Babers and I strolled around and I have to say I was glad I had something to hold onto - little slick out there.



Heading home was just as wild as we descended right back into the mist from which we had emerged and were swallowed whole. I admit, I am already looking forward to next weekend, but until then I'll try to keep my head out of the clouds.

1 comment:

beth said...

you guys are so cool.