Sunday, January 25, 2009

Divonne Market Day

Oh how I miss the market!
Every Wednesday morning come rain or shine (O.K. - maybe not so much rain, but definitely shine) I hauled out the rolling caddy and basket and headed for our local market.
The fresh produce, vibrant flowers, stinky cheeses, roasting chickens - they all make for a delightful kaleidoscope for the senses. I inevitably bought way more produce than two people could eat and could usually find a few little indulgences that shouldn't be passed up.

Here we have olives, olives and more olives.



Sunday we made our way over to Divonne - a town just across the border in France - and walked through their market. It was wonderful!
We've tried to capture a few of the things that make the market such a unique experience . . .
I won't try to label the pictures because the words don't seem to match up, but I will say that the vendor I was talking to was selling honey made from all different varieties of flowers from the area.


The produce is always displayed in such a way that it looks like art work!




After walking around we stopped for a cafe in a brasserie. Analise, who had been sleeping, woke up to join us. Looking around at the other patrons we saw a variety of Sunday morning beverages - coffee, yes, but also red wine, beer and champagne.











2 comments:

Unknown said...

Grandma should have been there in Divonne also. I had wanted to visit Divonne when we came for Christmas to show Alan the village and where we had stayed back in
August. Looks like fun.

tiapugh said...

I'm inspired.
I'm going to take pictures of a day in Fairbanks. It might not be so beautiful, but I might gain a better perspective.

Maybe...