Saturday, June 27, 2009

28

June 27, 1981
my birthday
(technically at the hour I'm writing this it's no longer my birthday - but lets pretend)
Today I'm 28 - which seems significantly closer to 30 than 27 does.

Let me tell you the difference between your 28th birthday and your 1st birthday - about four layers.
This evening we had our friends Bethany and KC over (along with their two friends visiting from the states) and grilled some hamburgers, sausages, chicken etc. for dinner.
It also just so happened that I had the bottom layer of Analise's birthday cake and some frosting left over in the refrigerator. So here I am, frosting the scraped up layer of cake and writing in a gel pen "Happy 28th Sarah."
Anticlimactic?
maybe a little

Notice no pictures on this blog? That's because when you turn 28 nobody thinks it's cute if you shove your face into your cake instead of using a fork.

Probably the biggest surprise to me is that I couldn't have been happier today. Getting up at 6:30 with an "awake" kiddo, doing errands at Hornbach (their version of Fleet Farm), going for a bike ride down by the lake, grilling out with friends, eating the leftover of someone else's birthday cake - it doesn't get any better than this.
The bonus material are the skype calls from family, birthday cards in the mail, unexpected gifts from my Swiss friends and the fact that my husband remembered that it was my birthday before I did!

I haven't always been so easily pleased, but a kid has a way of realigning expectations and priorities.

So, I guess that's about it. It's been a good year - now I think I'll go to bed . . .

3 comments:

Brookings Advocates for Small Business and Market Freedom said...

I want pictures! Even at 28, a girl deserves some attention. Although... attention at birthdays has tended to turn out poorly for you ( think crying at happy birthday) so maybe no pictures is ok. I'll let you get away with it for this year.

Happy b-day Sarah. I'll try and give you a call on mon if you are around so I can tell you 'in person.'

au natural sarah said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Birthday Sarah. I bet it will be fun to have your bike around. Hopefully we can chat sometime before we see you guys this summer:)

Unknown said...

You must remember that there are those who remember when you took great delight in plunging into your birthday cake with total abandon. You have spoken of many gifts which were made evident to you on your special day - gifts we take for granted as little children but which take on greater luster and meaning as we grow. Friends, Husband, Daughter, family. Now that is something worth celebrating! Happy Birthday to you Ra Ra!