Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fifth Anniversary

Saturday Daniel and I celebrated our fifth anniversary. (Five berries for five years) We took a picnic lunch and went for a hike in the mountains with Analise and Grady. After a little while of hiking I noticed lots of tiny red berries growing along the ground and sure enough - they turned out to be wild strawberries! (Daniel totally freaked out when I ate one - isn't that romantic?)

So of course I made us pick them, but it was worth the effort when we had a bowl of berries and a little vanilla ice cream for dessert that night. (Don't worry, I didn't eat any more until we googled "wild Swiss strawberries" and my worrier was fully convinced that they wouldn't kill us)


I was totally amazed at the beauty and variety of the wild flowers along the way . . . and of course had to pick some of them as well!

That evening we opened a nice bottle of wine and relaxed at home. Not exactly the glamor of going out to see an opera in Paris . . . but a great way to just appreciate each other and being together. For me the day resulted in an overwhelming sense of thankfulness. The fruit and the flowers are just tiny reminders of all the blessings God has put in my life - big and small.

Happy anniversary D, here's to many more!

3 comments:

tiapugh said...

really? 5 years? your wedding is still the most fun i've been to.

we pick wild strawberries here (at the cemetery-- creepy) but they are the best tasting berries I've ever had.

congrats on the milestone!

beth said...

I wish i could have been there to se Daniel freak out! I'm glad that you didn't die!

Unknown said...

When she says "Daniel freaked out" she basically means I just said "I don't think you should eat that...this is not a good place for a cardiac arrest...we're pretty far from the car."